Recipe by: Haylie Abele
These Spicy Sweet Potato Tacos are loaded with crispy bite size pieces of taco seasoned sweet potatoes, warm black beans and topped with your favorite taco toppings! They’re the best quick and easy weeknight meal!
- 1 large Bako Sweet sweet potato, diced into bite size chunks
- 1 (14 oz) can of black beans, drained
- 4-6 corn tortillas
- 1 tbsp avocado oil (more if needed)
- 1 tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp cayenne
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp oregano
- Taco Toppings of Choice: diced red onion, avocado, homemade salsa, cotija cheese, lime etc.
- Wash and dice the sweet potatoes. Carefully dice them into bite size pieces. Add to a large bowl and set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix together the cumin, onion powder, smoked paprika, salt, cayenne, garlic powder and oregano.
- To the bowl, add about 2 tsp of the homemade taco seasoning to the sweet potatoes (you can save the other bit of the taco seasoning for another meal) and toss to coat/combine.
- Heat a large skillet on medium heat. Add 1 tbsp of avocado oil. Once it’s hot, add in the sweet potatoes and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally to make sure they don’t get burnt on the bottom. Once the 10 minutes are up, put a lid on top of the skillet to help trap the heat to get them to finish out cooking. This should take just a couple of minutes.
- The sweet potatoes will be done when you can easily pierce them with a fork.
- Time for taco assembly! Drain a can of black beans and warm them in the microwave in a bowl. If desired, warm up the corn tortillas.
- Add beans to the tortilla followed by a generous helping of the sweet potatoes. Top with your favorite taco toppings! I used red onion, homemade salsa, avocado chunks, cilantro and cotija cheese.
- Eat up!